Grants of up to $75,000 to Georgia property owners to upgrade, repair, and improve commercial properties in eligible locations. Funding is intended for exterior enhancement and beautification efforts that attract new businesses and investments. The grant may be used for projects that improve the visual appearance of the property from the street or other public spaces. Owner-occupied commercial buildings will be given preference. The goal of the grant program is to improve the overall attractiveness of high-traffic corridors in Clayton County.
Promote a consistently high-quality commercial environment that will be attractive to residents and visitors
Promote retail to service activities and increase tenant occupancy within our shopping centers
Create an attractive environment where residents, visitors and business owners gain a sense of civic pride
Promoting additional improvements by the participants, and neighboring properties
Eligible improvements include:
Painting, including an exterior mural
Building surface repairs i.e. brick, siding, limestone, stucco etc.
Landscaping i.e. ornamental, decorative planters, flowerbeds etc.
This grant is intended for retail shopping centers, but other commercial properties may also qualify for funding. Owner-occupied commercial buildings will be given preference in this application.
- The applicant must be up to date on all permits, taxes, and other fees.
- Properties must be less than 75,000 SF
- Outparcels are allowed
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Property must be zoned for general business, mixed use, or commercial
- Applicants must be in good standing with Clayton County on all tax property taxes
- Shopping centers and commercial properties must have 50% or greater occupancy
- Property owner must have owned property prior to January 1, 2021
Ineligible Applicants include:
- Properties that do not qualify: package stores, adult entertainment shops, gambling activities, gas stations, financial institutions, gun/weapon shops, religious institutions or public agencies.
- Residential or Industrial Properties.
- Properties that are currently under contract, foreclosure or sale
Ineligible Repairs Include:
- Interior improvements
- Architectural design and planning services
- Operations and inventory
- HVAC, plumbing, and other system repair
- Roof Repair
- Construction Permit Fees
- Commercial improvements expenses that were incurred prior to grant approval notification
Clayton County shall have no liability for workmanship, design, or construction related to the project receiving grant funds under this program.
- December 8, 2023: Informational meeting with property owners
- December 8, 2023: Applications will open
- March 2, 2024: Applications due.
- April 2, 2024: Award recipients will be notified
- November 30, 2024: All projects must be completed
Only one application and property per owner.
A match is required for eligibility. The match must be equal to or greater than 25% of the funds requested. The match may be in the form of proof of exterior improvements within the last 3 years or additional repairs outside of the funds requested.
Estimated Size of Grant
Eligible commercial property owners may apply for grants up to $75,000.