Foundation / Corporation
Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF) and Microsoft
09/30/19 11:59 PM PST
Grants to USA, Canada, and International nonprofit organizations and academic institutions to use artificial intelligence to address current environmental issues. Funding is intended to support projects that develop and deploy open source machine learning models, algorithms, and data sets that directly tackle environmental problems faced by the world today. Applicants must demonstrate a plan for continued support of the work beyond the grant period.
Applicants must consider how to utilize AI for global environmental impact in at least one of the following core categories:
Biodiversity conservation: Species are going extinct at alarming rates, and our planet’s oceans and last wild places need protection. The Foundation would like to see how AI can help, particularly in the following areas:
- Protected area identification, management and restoration
- Sustainable supply chain management
- Illegal trade and poaching control Wildlife tracking and ecosystem health monitoring
- Realizing natural capital (including valuing natural capital, species identification)
Climate change: Extreme weather events, rising sea levels, higher global temperatures, and increased ocean acidity threaten human health, infrastructure, and the natural systems we rely on for life itself. The Foundation would like to see how AI can help, particularly in the following areas:
- Climate resilience
- Extreme weather and climate modeling
- Measuring carbon sequestration through natural climate solutions
- Pollution monitoring and reporting on air quality
- More efficient energy and transportation systems
Agriculture: To feed the world’s rapidly growing population, farmers must produce more food on less arable land, and with lower environmental impact. The Foundation would like to see how AI can help, particularly in the following areas:
- Sustainable land use planning and management
- Natural resource conservation
- Sustainable, closed loop food systems
- Climate-resilient, regenerative agriculture
- Food recovery
Water: In the next two decades, demand for fresh water—for human consumption, agriculture, and hygiene, as well as for the well-being of natural systems and species—is predicted to dramatically outpace supply. The Foundation would like to see how AI can help, particularly in the following areas:
- Beneficial water supply strategies for human and natural systems
- Water quality and sanitation
- Water source monitoring
- Water use efficiency
- Extreme-event (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.) water management
Applications that also include the following will be prioritized for review:
- Demonstration that the work will lead to implementation of proposed solution (whether directly by applicant or in collaboration with others);
- Solutions that are developed in and/or will be implemented in developing countries or underserved geographies;
- Solutions that demonstrate ability to rapidly scale and create lasting impact.
All models supported through this grant must be open source, and grant recipients must be willing to share their models for use by other environmental researchers and innovators. For more information about Project Requirements please see the URL for Full Text (RFP) below.
GrantWatch ID#: 186074
Proposal requests can be up to $100,000. In addition to financial support, successful proposals will receive free access to AI for Earth API’s, applications, tools, and tutorials, and support for their computational work on Microsoft Azure.
Proposal requests can be for support over one year only. It is anticipated that the selected projects will commence on January 1, 2020 and will be completed by December 31, 2020.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://ldf.fluxx.io/
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.